Work With Us: Senior Experience (UX) Designer
Create unforgettable end to end experiences that people love
Who We Are
Nightjar is an experience design and technology company based in Sydney, specialising in UX strategy, design, and innovative tech. We partner with brands and startups across the world, to build engaging design-led solutions which make a global impact. Our clients include Destination NSW, EVENT Entertainment & Hospitality, House of Heat, Sonoma, Armadillo, Lifeline, MAMA, Redsbaby, Two Good and ilume to name a few.
Nightjar is a close knit team and you will be relied upon to be a contributing and involved member in terms of both your work output but also your attitude, work ethic, and sense of adventure! The Nightjar team is truly global and you’ll enjoy a mix of face to face interaction in our Surry Hills studio, as well as virtual workshops and the ubiquitous video conferences. (“You’re on mute!”)
Nightjars are a special breed; we push ourselves to create work that gets results, and as a team we break through the barrier of convention to deliver original, impactful experiences. We are passionate above all else, and you will need to demonstrate an energy and enthusiasm for solving problems and the work that goes out the door. This unwavering dedication to quality means we were named B&T’s Emerging Agency of the Year in 2020, and have been nominated for Awwward’s Studio of the Year in 2020 and 2021.
As a Senior Experience (UX) Designer at Nightjar, you will be passionate about digital experiences and the role they play in our users’ lives, and highly competent at creating engaging, end to end experiences people just keep coming back to.
You’ll go beyond the brief and present solutions that will make the client say ‘Why didn’t we think of that?. You’ll take the user on an entire journey, from their first interaction with the brand / product / service right through to end, and then back again.
What You'll Do
- Put the user first: Champion the user needs in the context of all your solutions and designs
- Value design research: Understand the design research process, collaborate and support our Head of Experience Strategy, to formalise design research into insights and ideas
- Problem solve: Use your design thinking skills to problem solve across a wide variety of concepts and challenges
- Help drive the design process: Be efficient in translating design research into purposeful and delightful product experiences. From early vision concepts, to wireframes, to visual design - you’ll be hands-on and part of the team that owns the product experience from end-to-end.
- Measure success: Drive the frameworks for success each project is measured by, and optimise to get the best results for our partners
- Be curious: With a desire to always improve things, and always asking why, you’ll be exploring new ways of making things better every time.
- Add to our collaborative culture: We value a positive personality who can give and take healthy feedback, encourage and develop the team’s ideas, and generally leave ego out of it.
- Champion knowledge: Play an active role in Nightjar’s thought leadership, sharing insights with the internal team and the wider community
- You’ll sharpen your skills: Take ownership of the important aspects of the design, and help evolve our team as we continue to learn and tune our process.
- A real passion for phenomenal design, a superb aesthetic sense, an extraordinary eye for detail, crazy prototyping skills and a deep appreciation for user experience.
- High proficiency in tools such as Figma, Keynote, Adobe Creative Suite, Principal (or any similar prototyping tool)
- Strong communication and presenting skills and the ability to execute, organise and verbalise your design process.
- Exceptional quality, high fidelity wireframing skills - grounded in robust strategy and insights
- Complete comfort sketching, posting, and riffing with your team
- Conduct interviews, competitive research, design explorations, and strategic analysis
- Facilitating workshops with various teams and stakeholders and present to senior leadership
- Good grasp of Google Analytics / data sources
- A design/research/cognitive sciences related degree could be an advantage
- 5+ years experience in similar positions
- Excellent working knowledge of design processes, methodologies and principles
- Excellent experience design skills and the ability to create artefacts such as Information Architecture diagrams, Archetypes + Personas, Customer Journey Maps, User Flows, Scenarios, Wireframes and Prototypes, Usability testing scripts
- You will need to demonstrate your design capability by showing a strong portfolio full of beautiful, usable experiences designed for all kinds of devices and contexts
- Leafy and lovely studio environment in a cool hood
- Friday team lunches
- Monthly Nightjar excursions
- Annual Nightjar trips away
- Birthday day off
- Generous parental leave policy
- Friday arvo 'Wine & Refine' sessions to discuss what we did well and what we can improve with drinks to follow at our local
- Performance reviews and development plans to enable you to shine
- Personal tax returns completed for you
- Training budget for whatever tickles your fancy, we're always here to help you grow
- A team surrounding you who is dedicated to doing the absolute best that can be done on any given opportunity
- Work on Award-winning projects and learn from Awwwards and Webby judges
- A grumpy office Griffon by the name of Graeme
Inclusion, Equity & Diversity at Nightjar
We like to think of diversity as a quilt of our shared experiences - made richer and warmer the more we add to it. Our experiences and products are used by humans everywhere, from all backgrounds, and better representation internally will only help us externally. Hiring choices at Nightjar do not hinge on race, religion, gender, age, disability or sexual orientation. We are small but we are mighty, and we’re using our voice to make positive changes within the design and technology communities.
Please send your cover letter and CV to: email@example.com
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement – Nightjar’s commitment to protecting our team and our partners
Please note, to be on-site during the recruitment process and if successful in the role, you will need to be triple-vaxxed. If you have any questions or concerns, please let us know during your application process.